Also available in:
1. Summary of terms
ShapeYourPlace Wisbech and District is a community website which aims to give people a voice to make our neighbourhood a better place.
When posting please remember these simple rules:
- we would prefer you to use your real name – this is a community website
- respect other people and their views, even if they are different to your own
- share your views and opinions with others
- avoid vulgar or offensive language
- stay safe – don’t mention your mobile phone, house or flat number
- don’t post content that is untrue
- don’t threaten or harass others, or encourage violence
- don’t post content that was sent to you privately without permission
- don’t advertise a business or service
2. You and your responsibilities
Please provide true personal information – don’t impersonate anyone else, or provide false details. This is a community website, and honesty is an important part of community. We may need to contact you for further information at which point you may need to prove your identity. Where needed, this may help us assist you in your enquiry and provide you with the best service possible.
If you’re an official representative in any capacity, such as a councillor, or an employee of a relevant organisation (whether a council or other public body, or a business with an interest in the discussion), you should say so. This helps to ensure your point of view is understood, and that you’re not seen as trying to conceal anything later.
If you’re under 16, you should only use this site with appropriate supervision from your parent or guardian. If you’re a parent or guardian, and your child is using the site, please be sure to supervise them as appropriate. It’s a good idea to follow Direct.gov’s advice on staying safe online.
When reporting an issue, suggesting an idea or making a comment, do your best to give accurate information in simple language. This will help ensure your voice is heard and appreciated.
Only share information that is yours to share: don’t post other people’s issues, ideas or comments unless they give you permission to do so. In the spirit of a community site it’s not fair to them, as well as leaving yourself open to criticism or even legal action.
The purpose of this site is to help the people of the Wisbech and District area get involved in their community. Therefore, to contribute you must be a resident of, or work in, the Wisbech and District area (including Wisbech, Gorefield, Leverington, Murrow, Newton, Parson Drove, Tydd St Giles and Wisbech Saint Mary).
We also ask that you keep your contribution positive: don’t just continually complain about problems (particularly the same problems), help to suggest solutions too.
Please don’t submit more than two postings a day, as otherwise you may prevent others’ voices being heard.
3. Moderation and User Conduct
You should always show respect and consideration for other people and their opinions, whether you agree with them or not. Polite disagreement and debate is a vital part of any community, and is encouraged as part of full and active discussion.
The moderators reserve the right to edit the title of your contribution. This allows them to ensure everyone can easily understand it, and that the connection between related contributions can be seen.
Content will not be published if:
- it is threatening, obscene, seditious, offensive, abusive, liable to incite racial or religious hatred, discriminatory, in breach of confidence or in breach of privacy
- it is defamatory ie. it will ”unjustifiably expose the person to hatred, ridicule or contempt, or lower the person in the estimation of right thinking members of society generally”
- it contains copyrighted information for which you have not obtained all necessary licenses and/or approvals to use
- it constitutes or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability or contempt of court, or otherwise be contrary to the law or infringe the rights of any third party
- it seeks to advertise or promote a business or services
- it may be technically harmful (including without limitation computer viruses, trojans, worms, harmful components, or other malicious or harmful software or data)
- your “name” includes other information, such as contact details or web addresses
- the moderators determine that it is not appropriate to the site.
It is unacceptable to use or seek to use this website as a means of bullying or victimising any individual or group of individuals in any way.
Making unconstructive postings intended only to provoke or annoy (“trolling”) is not appropriate.
Linking to other sites where this adds value to your contribution is encouraged. Links should make sense where they appear, and be relevant to your contribution.
Once an item has been published, we aim to provide you with a response within ten working days, except the Police, who will aim to respond within 24 hours.
4. Intellectual Property
When you create a contribution to the site, that contribution becomes property of Cambridgeshire County Council.
All content and information uploaded to the site is the intellectual property of Cambridgeshire County Council.
5. Provision of Website
We are committed to providing this site as a platform for local community engagement in the Wisbech and District area. We will try to keep the site available at all times, but cannot guarantee that technical problems will not make it unavailable from time to time.
This service may be withdrawn at our discretion, and we are under no obligation to continue providing the website.
Issues, ideas and comments published on this site represent the opinion of the person who created them, and are not representative of the views and opinions of Cambridgeshire County Council or partner agencies. You are entirely responsible for any information that you submit to the site.
Blog posts, advice and issue resolutions appearing on this site represent the opinion of the person who created them, and may not be representative standpoint of the organisation they represent, of Cambridgeshire County Council, or partner agencies.
7. Data Protection and Privacy
8. Banning / suspension of Users
9. Links to other websites
We are not responsible for the content of other websites. Where another site is linked to, both copyright and liability for the contents of that site rest with its owners.
Some content on this site is drawn as “feeds” from other sites, such as Cambridgeshire.net. We don’t control the content of these feeds, and cannot accept liability for their content. Whenever we set up a feed we seek to ensure the content will always be appropriate. If you have any concerns about the content of a feed on this site, please get in touch and we’ll be happy to look into the problem.
Reviewed and amended 31 May 2012.
Also available in: